Everyone enjoys a gooey, satisfying lasagna. The layers of noodles, ricotta, and sauce are always a crowd-pleaser. And if you’re a long-time SkinnyMs. fan, you know that our Skinny Lasagna Rolls are a healthy and delicious delight, winning the Joyful Cookoff on the Today Show’s Kathie Lee and Hoda! This spinach-based version of lasagna rolls is sure to knock everyone’s socks off as well!
Made with whole wheat lasagna noodles instead of refined white pasta, this dish’s complex, fiber-rich carbohydrates make it healthier and better for your blood sugar and your waistline than traditional recipes. Spinach is a nutritional powerhouse, containing numerous antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and K. Extra virgin olive oil and part-skim ricotta cheese are great substitutes for cheeses and oils that are high in fat, calories, and cholesterol.
The combination of traditional Italian flavors really seals the deal on this dish. Sweet, earthy nutmeg, crunchy pistachios, and salty Parmigiano Reggiano all blend to capture the authentic Italian savory taste that will have you reaching for this spinach roll recipe again and again. Plus, since each roll is easy to eat and fun to boot, these rolls are great as a lunch to-go, a family dinner, or served as an appetizer at a dinner party or a cocktail party. Versatile, delicious, and healthy, these are spinach rolls you’ll have to treat yourself and your loved ones to again and again.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe (amount of rolls depends on how small they are sliced) | Calories: 259 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 22 mg | Sodium: 215 mg | Carbohydrates: 21 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints: 8
- 9 ounces fresh spinach, cleaned and tougher stalks removed, or fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces part -skim ricotta
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano or Parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 4 whole wheat lasagna sheets
- Bring a pot of water to a boil to cook the lasagna sheets.
- Over medium heat, sautè the spinach in a saucepan with one tablespoon of the extra virgin olive oil that is just enough to oil the pan. Season with salt then cook for 10 minutes.
- When the spinach is cooked, let it cool down then transfer it to a food processor to finely chop.
- In a mixing bowl, put the ricotta, spinach, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, nutmeg, pistachios and a dash of salt. Set the mixture aside.
- When the water for the lasagna boils, add some coarse salt then add the lasagna sheets, following the instructions in the package as to the number of minutes in cooking. If it is not indicated, do it by eye, about 5 - 6 minutes or when the sheets are soft.
- Lay one lasagna sheet on a clean plate then pat dry with a kitchen paper towel.
- Spread the ricotta mixture on the lasagna sheet then roll until the end.
- Using a sharp knife and with great care, make some slices of about 2 cm. each or whatever thickness you prefer. Do the same with the rest of the ingredients.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan before serving.
- They can be eaten tepid or if you want it warm, pop them in the microwave for a few seconds before serving.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.