For an easy, wholesome meal the whole family will gobble up, look no further than this Chicken and Rice Bake recipe! Tender, fall-off-the-bone chicken teams up with long grain brown rice for a dish that packs a protein punch and delivers a hearty dose of complex carbs for slow-releasing energy.
Chicken is coated in a flavorful marinade and cooked to golden-brown perfection on a skillet. Meanwhile, rice is sautéed with bold garlic and sweet onion. The mixture incorporates nutritious superfoods like diced tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Added to a casserole dish, the tasty rice blend forms the foundation of the recipe, nestling the chicken mixture which rests comfortably on top.
Simply bake for about 35 minutes, and voila! You have yourself an impressive, uber-tasty meal that’s guaranteed to satisfy. Pop your leftovers in the fridge for overnight storage and enjoy for tomorrow’s lunch!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 336 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 398mg | Carbohydrates: 30g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 23g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1.50 pounds chicken breasts or thighs, boneless and skinless (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup brown rice, not instant (we used Uncle Ben's 30 minute whole grain)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth, fat-free
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add egg to a medium bowl.In a gallon size ziplock bag, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. One piece at a time, dip chicken into beaten egg, allow excess to drip off, then add to the flour. Close bag and shake in order to coat each breast. Shake off excess.
- Place flour-coated chicken on a plate. In a large skillet (cast iron if available) add the olive oil or butter, and turn to medium heat. Heat until a drop of flour dropped in sizzles…indicating it's hot. Add chicken and lightly brown on both sides.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on a paper towel. Add to the same skillet the rice and onion and cook 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add rice mixture, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, and red pepper flakes to a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, stir to combine. Place browned chicken in the rice mixture, loosely cover with foil, and bake 35-45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender. Note, the liquid will be absorbed into the rice.
Hungry for more? Let us know! Leave a comment in the section below about this article or anything else you would like to see on SkinnyMs.