Our Chicken Biryani melds an array of unique ingredients into the perfect combination of flavors. This classic Indian dish features a beautiful blend of rich spices that create an irresistible aroma. Curry powder and bay leaf give the chicken a vibrant kick, while cinnamon adds a delicate hint of sweetness. Diced dried apricots deliver candied chewiness along with a dose of feel-good fiber. This lovely meal will be well received at any special occasion dinner.
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 322 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 55mg | Carbohydrates: 46g | Fiber: 3g | Sugars: 6g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9 |
- 2 cups brown basmati or jasmine rice, well rinsed
- 6 cups (1-1/2 quarts) low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 2-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color), stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for serving (optional)
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom of a pot.
- Add onions, and peppers. Cook for 5 minutes, and push to side of pan. Add curry powder, garlic and ginger, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and 1-2 tablespoons of the stock in the space, mixing to form a paste, and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Then stir in the rest of the stock, cinnamon, bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon salt, apricots, and raisins if using. Add the rice. Turn heat to high. Bring to a boil, then stir once and reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed, for about 30-40 minutes if using brown basmati rice, and only about 15 minutes, if using jasmine rice. Remove from the heat and fluff rice with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken pieces, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes, stirring periodically, until cooked through. Remove from the heat. Fold chicken and almonds into the fluffed biryani rice and serve. Top with cilantro, if desired.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else you’d like to see on SkinnyMs.