This recipe is both easy to whip up and healthy as can be!
Stir fry dishes are often touted as being both easy and healthy, but if you’ve ever Googled for stir fry recipes, you’ve probably found that, too frequently, they are neither! Many stir fry recipes are quite ambitious, requiring that you find your nearest Asian grocery and hunt down dozens of hard-to-find ingredients. These stir fry dishes may turn out beautifully, but they certainly don’t make easy weeknight dinners! Other recipes call for high sodium ingredients, tons of oil, and fatty cuts of meat. These hardly qualify as healthy.
Skinny Ms. has concocted a delicious stir fry that won’t have your scouring every grocery in town for ingredients, and is light on the fat, sodium, and calories. Our Chicken, Broccoli, and Asparagus Stir Fry is a healthy stir fry recipe that is easy to whip up after work in the evening. We’ve chosen boneless, skinless chicken breasts as our protein, providing a lean protein that’s low in fat and cholesterol. And when it comes to green vegetables, well, we just couldn’t decide between two of our favorites! Broccoli has that combo of leafy tops and crunchy stems that we love, and asparagus lends an earthy flavor we can’t resist. Both are high in fiber and phytonutrients.
Combine the classic combination of ginger and garlic for a savory taste that’s reminiscent of Asian flavors. We sweeten our stir fry with honey, a natural sweetener that brings a complex flavor that refined sugar cannot. And crunchy sesame seeds along with sesame oil are flavorful and compliment the rest of the ingredients in this easy, delicious dish perfectly.
Chicken, Broccoli, and Asparagus Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups broccoli chopped into small florets
- 1 pound asparagus ends trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger fresh, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 scallions (green onions) sliced
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Heat half of the sesame oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the broccoli, asparagus, and broth. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the soy sauce, ginger, honey, and scallions. Whisk well and set aside.
- Remove the broccoli and asparagus from the pan and set aside. In the hot pan, add the remaining oil. Once hot, add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Return the broccoli and asparagus to the pan with the chicken. Stir in the soy sauce mixture and cook until hot, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and top with sesame seeds.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We love feedback! Head to the comments section to let us know what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site