Stir fry dishes are often touted as being both easy and healthy, but if you’ve ever Googled for stir fry recipes, you’ve probably found that, too frequently, they are neither! Many stir fry recipes are quite ambitious, requiring that you find your nearest Asian grocery and hunt down dozens of hard-to-find ingredients. These stir fry dishes may turn out beautifully, but they certainly don’t make easy weeknight dinners! Other recipes call for high sodium ingredients, tons of oil, and fatty cuts of meat. These hardly qualify as healthy.
SkinnyMs. has concocted a delicious stir fry that won’t have your scouring every grocery in town for ingredients, and is light on the fat, sodium, and calories. Our Chicken, Broccoli, and Asparagus Stir Fry is a healthy stir fry recipe that is easy to whip up after work in the evening. We’ve chosen boneless, skinless chicken breasts as our protein, providing a lean protein that’s low in fat and cholesterol. And when it comes to green vegetables, well, we just couldn’t decide between two of our favorites! Broccoli has that combo of leafy tops and crunchy stems that we love, and asparagus lends an earthy flavor we can’t resist. Both are high in fiber and phytonutrients.
Combine the classic combination of ginger and garlic for a savory taste that’s reminiscent of Asian flavors. We sweeten our stir fry with honey, a natural sweetener that brings a complex flavor that refined sugar cannot. And crunchy sesame seeds along with sesame oil are flavorful and compliment the rest of the ingredients in this easy, delicious dish perfectly.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 239 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 73 mg | Sodium: 602 mg | Carbohydrates: 11 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 27 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger (from fresh, peeled ginger root)
- 1 small bunch asparagus, woody bottoms removed
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped small
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Heat the garlic on medium low in the sesame oil just for a minute, until it is golden and fragrant, but not burnt. Add the broccoli florets and asparagus spears and the vegetable broth and cover.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, to allow to steam.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the soy sauce, honey and scallions. Remove the lid of the pot and put the vegetables in a bowl. Add the remaining sesame oil, chicken, scallions, soy sauce, ginger, and honey to the pot. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, for 3- 5 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink. Add in the vegetables and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the sesame seeds just prior to serving, if using. Serve with brown rice, if desired.
We love feedback! Head to the comments section to let us know what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site