SkinnyMs. takes on a traditional Mexican dish with this savory chicken enchiladas recipe! Although many enchilada recipes call for heavy cream-based sauces and fattening meats, this recipe maintains a nutritious profile you can feel good about eating.
Yummy whole-grain tortillas are stuffed with chicken and cheddar cheese, then seasoned with savory spices. Afterward, they are infused with a rich, zesty sauce that spotlights green chilies. Greek yogurt subs in for sour cream, slashing a boatload of calories while hooking you up with a healthy dose of protein and lending a creamy consistency to the mixture.
Don’t forget to account for the spiciness from the chilies and adjust based on your tolerance and preference. Easy to assemble, these melt-in-your-mouth enchiladas will be a surefire hit at your next family gathering or dinner party!
Yields: 12 servings | Calories: 240 | Total Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 313mg | Carbohydrates: 15g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 15g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 2 chicken breasts on the bone
- 2 cup water
- 12 (8-inch) whole grain tortillas
- 1 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons pure butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (retain from baked chicken)
- 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt (optional, sour cream)
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a covered casserole pan, add chicken and water. Roast in oven for 1 hour, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165. Retain broth for enchiladas.
- Cool chicken slightly, discard skin, remove chicken from bone, and shred with a fork. Combine shredded chicken, 3/4 cup cheese, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add chicken mixture to tortillas, roll tightly, and place in a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan, seam side down.
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly pour in broth, raise to medium heat, and whisk until thickened to a gravy consistency. Turn off heat and add yogurt and green chiles. Pour mixture over tortillas and top with the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
- Garnish if desired with any of these toppings: chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced tomatoes, green onions, or olives.
We need your feedback! Leave a comment in the section below about this article or anything else on the site.