All the flavors of a sizzlin' platter of fajitas, served up in a bowl!
I’m not sure what it is about a sizzlin’ platter of fajitas, but it seems to have this magical quality to it. Think about it: Have you ever been at a Mexican restaurant, dead set on ordering the taco salad or a burrito bowl, when a platter of fajitas comes out of the kitchen? You can hear it from across the room, and the aroma completely entices you. Fajitas weren’t even on your radar, but all of a sudden you really want to order some! Well, that phenomenon might start happening a lot more often when you start making these Chicken Fajita Power Bowls.
We captured all the flavor of that sizzling platter with a fraction of the fat and calories. It’s the perfect combination of colorful peppers, spiced chicken, protein-rich quinoa, sweet corn, fiber-rich black beans, and cooling yogurt—all in an easy-to-make package that’s ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. Just be prepared for your coworkers to spy your lunch and ask you for the recipe!
A Brilliant Way to Use Leftover Chicken
This Chicken Fajita Power Bowls recipe is the perfect way to use up leftover chicken. A whole chicken will yield about 2 cups of shredded white meat, and 1 cup of shredded dark meat. So if you have leftovers from cooking a whole chicken, use them up! (Psst: We love how simple it is to make a whole chicken using an Instant Pot).
If you don’t have leftovers on-hand, never fear. Making this half-cup portion of chicken is easy! Simply simmer one boneless, skinless chicken breast in water or broth until it’s cooked through. You could add spices and flavorings to the cooking liquid if you like, but it’s not strictly necessary. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it with two forks. A 5-ounce chicken breast should yield about one cup of shredded chicken.
Using Greek Yogurt Instead of Sour Cream
If you’ve been following us for a while, you might have noticed how much we love Greek yogurt! We use it as an alternative for everything from mayonnaise to sour cream. In case you’re wondering, there’s a good reason to skip the sour cream and use Greek yogurt instead.
They both add a rich, tangy flavor and a creamy texture to dishes like these Chicken Fajita Power Bowls, but yogurt is significantly healthier. It has much less saturated fat as compared to sour cream, and it also has a higher protein content. And it has fewer calories, too.
So, instead of getting 25 calories and 7 percent of your daily saturated fat from a tablespoon of sour cream, choose non-fat Greek yogurt instead. It’s just as thick and creamy, but it has only 9 calories, zero saturated fat, and adds 1.5 grams of protein to your life. If you find it’s not tangy enough for your liking, you can always whisk in some lemon or lime juice to kick it up a notch.
Chicken Fajita Power Bowls
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup bell pepper any color, sliced into strips
- 1/2 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup corn kernels cooked
- 1/4 cup black beans cooked
- 1/2 cup boneless and skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt plain, fat-free
- In a small saute pan, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the peppers and cook just until softened. Set aside.
- Combine the quinoa, half the lime juice, and cilantro. Mix well and place in the bottom of a large serving bowl. Place the cooked bell pepper, corn, and black beans on top of the quinoa. Each filling about 1/4 of the bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken, remaining lime juice, cumin, and chili powder. Place in last 1/4 of the bowl on top of the quinoa. Top with the yogurt in the center.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms