A plate of chicken parmesan nestled up to a side of scrumptious spaghetti? Sign us up! This recipe merges the best of both worlds: crunchy, soul-warming chicken parm and deliciously classic spaghetti marinara. The genius dinner calls for lightened ingredients like part-skim mozzarella and sugar-free marinara sauce. Our Chicken Parmesan and Spaghetti Marinara delivers a variety of tasty textures, from slurpable spaghetti noodles to chewy, tender chicken. This protein-packed recipe is satisfying, nutritious, and a guaranteed family favorite. Bon appétit!
To reduce calories, consider replacing the spaghetti portion with a small garden salad and halving the amount of cheese.
!Chicken Parmesan and Spaghetti Marinara Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 847 | Total Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 286mg | Sodium: 1204mg | Carbohydrates: 79g | Fiber: 12g | Sugars: 7g | Protein: 77g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 21 |
!Chicken Parmesan, minus Spaghetti Marinara Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 516 | Total Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 229mg | Sodium: 463mg | Carbohydrates: 20g | Fiber: 1g | Sugars: 2g | Protein: 62g | SmartPoints: 11 |
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces whole wheat or high protein spaghetti
- 1 jar clean-eating (sugar-free) marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook and drain pasta until al dente, according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, line up chicken breasts, cover with plastic wrap, and pound each to 1/2-inch with the bottom of a heavy-bottomed pan, jar, or a mallet. Whisk flour with salt and pepper and place in an even layer on a flat plate.
- Place egg in a shallow bowl. Place breadcrumbs in an even layer on another plate. Dip chicken in flour on both sides to coat the chicken. Dip chicken in eggs and allow any excess egg to drip off.
- Dip chicken in breadcrumbs, pressing to coat in an even layer on each side.
- Pan sauté chicken cutlets in olive oil on the stovetop, so there is a little space between each. Cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. You might have to work in batches and do 2 chicken breasts at a time, depending on the size of the pan.
- Lay pasta in a baking pan and cover with half the marinara sauce. Lay chicken on top. Pour the rest of the marinara sauce over chicken. Top chicken and pasta with mozzarella and then parmesan and bake for 10 minutes, uncovered, until cheese is fully melted. Enjoy!
Have questions, comments, or ideas? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers.