This scrumptious roast chicken is a dinner winner! It calls for a few simple, feel-good ingredients full of lovely freshness and health benefits. Moist, fall-off-the-bone meat is decorated with garden fresh rosemary sprigs that give the chicken a lovely aroma and subtle finish. Lemons add mouthwatering tanginess that complement the savory taste. After an hour basting in its juices, this chewy, gorgeous roast will melt in your mouth with every bite. This protein-packed low-carb dish will fill you up without even coming close to breaking your calorie bank. It’s the perfect choice if you’re watching your waistline!
Yields: 12 servings | Calories: 319 | Total Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 297mg | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fiber: 0g | Sugars: 0g | Protein: 25g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9 |
- 1 (about 5-pound) whole chicken (free-range, organic recommended)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 whole rosemary branches with sprigs and 2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary sprigs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken cavity with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place 4 lemon wedges (from one whole lemon) and 2 whole rosemary branches with sprigs attached inside the cavity.
- Mix the garlic, chopped rosemary, and one tablespoon of olive oil to form a paste/rub.
- Loosen the skin of the chicken with your hands one area at a time, so that it separates from the meat. Slide fingers under the skin and place minced rosemary, garlic, and olive oil mixture, rubbing into the poultry. Do a little at a time so the whole chicken is coated.
- Rub or brush the outside of the chicken with oil and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. If preferred, tie the legs with a string.
- Place chicken breast-side up in a roasting pan. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Baste the chicken with the juices. Reduce temperature to 400 degrees and cook one hour, basting chicken with the juices after 30 minutes, or until chicken thighs have reached an internal temperature of 180 degrees F.
- Remove skin prior to eating.
What chicken recipes would you like to see next? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers.