This roast is loaded with simple, feel-good ingredients, and will be a dinner winner.
This scrumptious roast chicken is a dinner winner! It calls for a few simple, feel-good ingredients full of lovely freshness and health benefits. Moist, fall-off-the-bone meat is decorated with garden fresh rosemary sprigs that give the chicken a lovely aroma and subtle finish. Lemons add mouthwatering tanginess that complement the savory taste. After an hour basting in its juices, this chewy, gorgeous roast will melt in your mouth with every bite. This protein-packed low-carb dish will fill you up without even coming close to breaking your calorie bank. It’s the perfect choice if you’re watching your waistline!
Chicken Roast with Lemon & Rosemary
- 5 pounds whole chicken free-range, organic recommended
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lemon cut into 4 wedges
- 2 whole rosemary branches with sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons rosemary sprigs finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken cavity with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place 4 lemon wedges (from one whole lemon) and 2 whole rosemary branches with sprigs attached inside the cavity.
- Mix the garlic, chopped rosemary, and one tablespoon of olive oil to form a paste/rub.
- Loosen the skin of the chicken with your hands one area at a time, so that it separates from the meat. Slide fingers under the skin and place minced rosemary, garlic, and olive oil mixture, rubbing into the poultry. Do a little at a time so the whole chicken is coated.
- Rub or brush the outside of the chicken with oil and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. If preferred, tie the legs with a string.
- Place chicken breast-side up in a roasting pan. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Baste the chicken with the juices. Reduce temperature to 400 degrees and cook one hour, basting the chicken with the juices after 30 minutes, or until chicken thighs have reached an internal temperature of 180 degrees F.
- Remove the skin prior to eating.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What chicken recipes would you like to see next? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers.