Delicious and easy to prepare, this dish can be adjusted to feed a crowd without breaking your budget.
Feeding a crowd a healthy, filling meal can be a challenge on a budget. Fortunately, recipes such as this hearty Chicken with Onions, allow you the flexibility to stretch your grocery dollars, and create a crowd-pleasing meal. You can make this dish as an elegant course for a large gathering, or a simple stress-free meal for two.
Consider your audience when preparing dinner
You can take several different approaches when making this Chicken with Onions dinner. First, for a healthier option, you can use boneless skinless chicken breast. Second, you can opt for chicken thighs or drumsticks to create a more budget-friendly version when feeding a large crowd. Finally, and best of all, use either option to make this recipe Keto, Whole30, Gluten-Free, and Paleo compliant.
Elevate this dish with layers of flavor from the first marinade to the final garnish
Each step of the cooking process involves another layer. When you combine each layer, you create a complex dish. Here are the layers that take your chicken dinner from tasty to extraordinary.
The first layer, the citrus marinade, sets the flavor “tone” for the dish. The citrus juice in this marinade infuses the chicken with flavor. It also tenderizes the poultry, and improves the texture.
The second layer, the caramelized onions, creates a natural sweetness that is simple yet complex. It’s remarkable how you can transform a dish with the addition of an onion.
The final layer, chicken broth, is another optional way to create more flavor. Simply substitute low-sodium chicken broth when you’re cooking the chicken, instead of water.
There you have it! You now have a chicken dinner with maximum flavor impact, and minimal effort. Your guests will think that you have spent hours in the kitchen, using a complicated recipe. Your secret is safe with me!
Round out your main course with these serving suggestions:
- Serve over steamed rice and roasted or steamed vegetables
- Use riced cauliflower to make the entree keto, Whole30 and paleo friendly
- Serve beside a baked or mashed sweet potato and vegetables
- Add roasted cauliflower and other vegetables to your plate for a low-carb version
Chicken with Onions | Keto-Friendly Dinner Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
- 5 garlic cloves divided and sliced thin
- 2 onions medium, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup citrus juice orange, lemon, or lime juice, or a mixture
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter oh Ghee
- 1/3 cup water
- cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Pat the chicken breast dry and place into a container. In a small bowl, combine 3 cloves garlic, oregano, half the sliced onions, 1 Tablespoon cilantro, citrus juice, salt, and pepper. Rub mixture on all sides of each chicken breast.
- Cover and marinate, refrigerated, for 2 hours. Remove chicken and discard marinade.
- Melt butter in large skillet, over medium heat. When butter begins to brown; add chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken and cook on other side for 5 minutes, chicken should begin to brown.
- Reduce the heat and add remaining sliced onions and 2 cloves sliced garlic to the skillet. Stir, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes over medium-low to medium heat.
- Add water, cover and cook for another 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through, adding more liquid if needed.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro, if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Save your favorite recipes by following us on Pinterest!