Healthy flautas are hard to find, but this flautas recipe with chickpeas proves that it can be done! Instead of the usual beef or chicken, this recipe is made with high fiber chickpeas for a healthy and unique twist on a traditional Mexcian dish. If you’re looking for a way to enjoy Mexican food while still getting some nutrients, these chickpea flautas are a great start.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 flautas | Calories: 321 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 2 mg | Sodium: 285 mg | Carbohydrates: 49 g | Dietary Fiber: 9 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 10 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup canned or fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, lowfat
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the onions; cook until soft. Stir in the seasonings and the tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook for 5 minutes and add the lime juice and salt.
- Heat the tortillas either in the microwave or a dry skillet. Fill each one with some of the chickpea mixture, roll up, and lay seam side down on baking sheet. Brush with remaining olive oil, and bake until tortillas are browned and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with the lettuce, guacamole (if using), yogurt, cheese, tomatoes and radishes.