A splash of lime gives shrimp a tangy touch
Shrimp is a high quality protein that is easy to prepare, especially on the grill. If you’re looking for shrimp recipes that are full of flavor, yet still healthy and delicious, this shrimp and quinoa dish fits the bill perfectly. Fresh lime, spicy chili powder, and charcoal flavor from the grill makes the shrimp mouthwatering and tender, and when paired with the quinoa recipe, this combination makes a delightful summertime meal that is perfect for entertaining. Serve this with plenty of lime wedges and chopped cilantro for fresh, amazing flavor that comes together quickly.
Chili Lime Grilled Shrimp with Quinoa Pilaf
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp medium, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion small, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup corn kernels frozen
- cilantro fresh, chopped, for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- Combine all of the shrimp ingredients except for the shrimp and lime wedges in a plastic bag or casserole dish. Add the shrimp and marinate in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, preheat your grill to medium-high heat and start on the quinoa. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil, followed by the onions. Cook for 2 minutes and add the garlic. Cook for another minute, and add the bell pepper. Cook for 2 more minutes and add the quinoa, water, and corn. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- After you get the quinoa started, thread the shrimp and lime wedges onto metal or soaked bamboo skewers, alternating shrimp and lime wedges.
- Grill for about 2 minutes per side, until shrimp is pink and tender, being careful not to overcook.
- Serve the shrimp skewers alongside the quinoa pilaf and top with fresh chopped cilantro and extra lime wedges.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms