All the flavors you love, but with only half the fat and calories, and none of the artificial ingredients.
Every family holiday gathering needs a classic green bean casserole. For this Classic Green Bean Casserole recipe, we took an oldie but a goodie and skinnied it up. To do it, we used Greek yogurt instead of the usual canned cream soup to achieve that creamy texture, and opted for baked red onions in place of fried onion strings.
This casserole recipe has all the flavors you love in the classic version, but with only half the fat and calories, and none of the artificial ingredients. Give it a try for your next holiday gathering and let us know what you think!
Classic Green Bean Casserole
- 1 pound green beans ends trimmed
- 1 red onion large, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9X13 inch casserole pan with nonstick spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and quickly cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Quickly drain beans and submerge in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Toss the sliced red onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool uncovered.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid and the onions are translucent. Stir in thyme and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add milk to the mushroom mix. Bring to a boil and quickly whisk in yogurt until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat and add green beans. Toss to coat in the mushroom mix, if the mix is too thick add skim milk one tablespoon at a time to thin. Pour into a prepared casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Top with crispy red onions, and serve!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Tried it and loved it? We’d love to hear your thoughts! Give us your feedback in the comments section!