This creamy caramel sauce can be drizzled over apple wedges or as a coating, as we did with these mini caramel apples, and it’s perfect for a fall festival or celebration. We used little Lady apples dipped in cane sugar-free coconut milk and brown rice syrup to create the caramel sauce for these small sugar-free versions of the classic Hallows Eve treat. The miniature size makes them great for small bites at a Halloween party.
Simply prepare the sauce, dip skewered apples, place on waxed paper lined or cooking spray coated nonstick baking sheet and allow the coating to harden on the apples in the fridge. Some of the sauce may slide off, but that’s okay.
To give to friends or family for Halloween, simply wrap the caramel apples in wax paper and tie with ribbons. Larger apples such as Granny Smith or McIntosh can, of course, be used as well.
Need other healthful caramel recipe ideas? Fruits with caramel can include pears, oranges, or bananas. Simply skewer the fresh fruit pieces and drizzle over or dip into the caramel sauce. Yum!
Yields: 10 servings | Serving Size: 1 candied apple | Calories: 161 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 73 mg | Carbohydrates: 32 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 13 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 10 small-variety apples such as lady apples or 6 large apples such as Granny Smith or McIntosh
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, or good quality unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash and dry each apple. Insert bamboo skewers, or wooden sticks into the bottom end of each apple. Pull the stem from the top of each apple to remove.
- Whisk the coconut milk, coconut oil or butter and brown rice syrup in a medium saucepan over medium--low heat. Allow to cook for 10 minutes. The sauce should bubble. Whisk in salt and vanilla.
- Remove the caramel sauce from the heat. The caramel will thicken upon standing. Roll the apples in the caramel and use a spoon to pour on, and the back of the spoon to spread.
- Set each skewered caramel apple onto wax paper lined baking sheet. Allow to set in the fridge for an hour to harden. Place lined or grouped on a plate to serve.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.