When you think of the most decadent of traditional Italian meals, what comes to mind? Some of us love the gooey, warm, creamy lasagna our grandmothers made. Others crave a hot slice of pizza, just out of the oven. You can enjoy pizza and lasagna in one single bite with these delicious lasagna rolls, flavored with classic Italian pizza flavor, a combination of good quality tomato sauce mixed with cheese, herbs, and extra virgin olive oil.
Make your own tomato sauce in minutes by combining sauteed garlic with tomato puree and oregano. Add three popular Italian cheeses, mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan. Mozzarella gives a mild, mellow flavor and a gooey texture, ricotta adds the creamy texture, while Parmesan adds a salty bite that combines with tomato to create a classic flavor.
Yields: 10 rolls/ 10 servings | Serving Size: 1 roll | Calories: 232 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 25 mg | Sodium: 573 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 14 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 whole grain lasagna noodles, boiled according to package
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic for 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes, bring to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and dried oregano then simmer for 15 - 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour 1 cup sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch casserole pan, set aside.
- Combine cheeses, pepper, and oregano. Evenly spread cheese mixture over each lasagna roll, retaining 1/2 cup for the top. Drizzle 1 tablespoon sauce over cheese. Roll to close, then place on the baking dish, seam side down.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups sauce over the top and sprinkle on remaining cheese mixture. Serve any remaining sauce with rolls. Loosely cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- Let the rolls rest for a few minutes before serving.
Check out our amazing clean eating pasta recipes:
Don’t miss out on the latest from SkinnyMs. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.