Pumpkin pie reigns supreme among the host of tempting pumpkin treats out there. After all, what would the holidays be without the decadent dessert? Unfortunately, conventional recipes deliver a boatload of sugar and fat that could derail anyone trying to live a healthy lifestyle. Luckily, with this Clean Eating Pumpkin Pie, you can have your pie, and clean eat it, too!
Wholesome superfoods like pumpkin puree enhanced with savory spices and coconut milk make up the bulk of the pie filling. Traditional piecrusts are buttery, caloric nightmares, but this shell uses coconut oil as an alternative and still maintains the flaky, crumbly consistency you love! A guaranteed crowd favorite, this guilt-free indulgence will satisfy your sweet tooth without threatening your waistline.
Yields: 10 servings | Calories: 322 |Total Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 82mg | Carbohydrates: 31g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g | Protein: 5g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 15
- 1-3/4 cups (1 15-ounce can) 100% pumpkin puree (not sweetened), homemade can also be used
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (not lite)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar or maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil, solid*
- 8 tablespoons ice water (have a bowl of water with ice cubes in it) or less
- *Refrigerate coconut oil at least an hour in advance to get it solid.
- For the filling:
- Whisk together all of the filling ingredients until fully combined.
- For the crust:
- Add the flour and salt to the food processor and blend. Add the oil to the food processor and pulse. Flour mixture should resemble a coarse meal. Next, add ice water a little at a time, and pulse. Just add enough water so that a dough is formed.
- Make a flat disc with the dough. Wrap so that it is airtight with wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to three days.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle out flour on a surface and roll dough flat. Overturn the pie dish so it's top-side down and cut a circle around it. Flip dough into pie pan and press in to pan. Fold over edges or press all the way around with a fork. Prick the pastry on the bottom and sides all over with a fork. Add a piece of parchment paper over the dough and add pie weights or 1 cup dry clean beans to dough and place in oven and allow to bake for 15 minutes. Remove the parchment and weights/beans and allow to bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove and add filling to pie. Place pie plate with filled pie on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake pie for 30 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean. Top with Clean Eating Whipped Topping, if desired.