With their fruity flavor and melt-in-your-mouth texture, these Coconut Lemon Macaroons are simply to die for.
Don’t let your gluten restriction stop you from indulging in tasty baked goods! With their fruity flavor and melt-in-your-mouth texture, these Coconut Lemon Macaroons are simply to die for. The best part? They’re 100% gluten free! These homemade macaroons are a lovely dessert your friends and family will gladly gobble up. These delights boast a deliciously moist center and crisp exterior.
The recipe calls for wholesome ingredients like coconut milk, honey, and shredded coconut. After some quality oven time, macaroons are indented in the center and filled with a creamy, mouthwatering lemon curd. Grated lemon zest and freshly squeezed lemon juice perk up this tangy filling, while honey and eggs give it a creamy character. Simple and impressive, these yummy macaroons make a reliable sweet-tooth satisfier anytime of the year!
Coconut Lemon Macaroons
- 13 to 15 ounces coconut milk can, whole fat (not lite)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 cups coconut shredded or flaked, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from the fine holes on the side of a box (cheese) grater or a microplane
- 2 whole eggs room temperature
- 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Coconut milk and honey (for the macaroons)
- Bring coconut milk to a boil over high heat in a small saucepan. Whisk in honey.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced by half. The liquid will bubble.
- Make lemon curd by placing lemon juice, zest, and honey in a small pan over medium heat.
- While the lemon-honey syrup is warming, beat together eggs in a large bowl.
- Once the lemon-honey syrup is just warmed, pour it into the egg bowl in a slow drizzle, beating all the while. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Make a slurry separately with the cornstarch whisked with 2 tablespoons water until dissolved. Add to lemon curd and place in a saucepan over medium-high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, until boiling and thick. Remove from heat and place in an uncovered dish and set in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with coconut oil, baking spray, or canola oil. Alternatively, line the baking sheet with an ungreased silicone baking mat. Stir reduced coconut-honey milk, vanilla, shredded coconut, and salt together in a bowl until well combined. Let cool, uncovered in mixing bowl, in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Drop batter in heaping tablespoonfuls, rounded with hand to make a macaroon shape, on a baking sheet with a little space between each. Repeat for about 15 cookies, or 3 rows of 5.
- Wet hands when working with macaroon mix so it will not stick to hands. Use thumb to press an indent in the center of each and push sides to make little nests; cookies will be a little flattened.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp and golden. If a lighter, less toasted, macaroon is desired, bake only for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to set on sheet tray for about 10 minutes and then carefully place each macaroon on cooling rack or plate.
- Fill baked cookies with a teaspoonful of lemon curd before serving and store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days, or enjoy right away! Coconut Lemon Macaroons will firm up a bit when refrigerated.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Love the dessert? Hungry for more healthy gluten-free options? Let us know! Leave a comment in the section below about this article or anything else on the site.