White fish is one of our favorite lean proteins, and when you lighten up a classic fish-and-tartar-sauce dish, you have a dinner favorite that’s easy on your waistline. Batter your fish fillets with a cornflake crust for a crunch that’s light and not overly fattening. Your tartar sauce is made with protein-rich Greek yogurt and lemon, a healthy alternative to traditional tartar sauce. Serve this restaurant-quality dish and transform your typical weeknight dinner!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 fillet of fish and sauce | Calories: 368 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 136 mg | Sodium: 220 mg | Carbohydrates: 51 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 25 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 7 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (adjust according to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika or Piment d'Espelette (if available)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1 pound total) fish fillets (any kind of firm white fish like sole, halibut, haddock or striped sea bass)
- 1 (or more) cup flour (for coating the fish)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 (or more) cups cornflakes, crushed coarsely with your hands (for coating the fish)
- Canola oil, saffron oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil or other kinds of oil for frying
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, capers, parsley, lemon juice, paprika or piment d'espelette, chives, salt and lemon zest. Adjust the amount of ingredients according to your taste. Set aside.
- Prepare 3 containers with the flour, eggs and cornflakes.
- Cover the fish fillet with the flour then shake off the excess.
- Dip it in the container of the egg.
- Cover with the cornflakes then shake off the excess.
- If you are baking, put them on a cooking oil sprayed baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 365 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you are frying, over medium heat in a saucepan with oil, put them in a pan with enough oil, fry the fish and brown both sides. When they are cooked, put them on a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Sprinkle with some salt.
- Serve the fish with the sauce.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.