This unique soup will become one of your favorites.
“While I love the sweetness of fresh corn, I’ve often found corn soups to be much too heavy (with all of the cream and butter in the recipe), and a little too bland for my tastes. I decided to makeover Creamy Corn Soup without using cream in the recipe. Instead, vegetable broth and potato create that “creamy” feeling, warm spices like cumin and chili powder, and fun toppings like tomatoes and cilantro for some texture and flavor.” Anjali Shah of The Picky Eater.
Anjali Shah is a food writer and owner of The Picky Eater, a healthy food and lifestyle blog. She grew up a “whole wheat” girl, but married a “white bread” kind of guy. The Picky Eater chronicles her adventures creating healthy recipes that her “fast food loving husband” enjoys. You’ll also find healthy lifestyle tips, recipe makeovers, snippets of Anjali’s everyday life, and other personal anecdotes along with her recipes on her blog.
Creamy and Spicy Corn Soup
- 5 ears fresh sweet corn
- 1 onion medium, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 yukon gold potato medium, chopped
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable stock the more stock you add, the thinner your soup will be
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the onion, potato, and trim the corn kernels off the 5 ears of corn.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, saute for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the potato and broth, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are very soft – about 10 minutes. Then add the fresh corn and cook through for a couple minutes more.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms