I don’t know what I’d do without my slow cooker. It has served as a major lifesaver on so many occasions. If you haven’t hopped on the slow cooker train yet, it’s about time you treat yourself to one of these seemingly magical appliances. You’ll save yourself a truckload of time and money, (not to mention stress!) in the long run. Slow cookers bring so much goodness to the table (no pun intended!).
- Slow cooking enhances the flavor of your food, giving each ingredient time to release its flavor and marinate in its juices.
- They allow you to whip up homemade meals with ease, saving you from ordering takeout or fast food on busy nights.
- Slow cooker meals usually carry virtually effortless instructions, allowing for simple and easy, one-step prep
- They are handy throughout the year. Slow cookers let you create countless tummy-warming soups, stews, and casseroles for the winter. When summertime rolls around, you can cook up recipes in your crock pot instead of the oven, which saves you from heating up your entire kitchen.
If you’re not sold yet, perhaps trying our downright delicious Crock Pot Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup will do the trick. This recipe delivers nothing but rich, creamy comfort food your body will actually appreciate.
I love all things creamy and delicious, and soup tends to fit this bill. I’m a major sucker for soup, especially when chilly weather comes knockin’ at the door. This belly-warming soup will hit the spot on those cold nights when you crave something both hearty and comforting.
We’ve incorporated a handful of healthy ingredients in this recipe, boosting its nutritional value while enhancing flavor.
Wild rice lends complex carbs and filling fiber, while juicy chicken packs a protein punch in this satisfying soup. Meanwhile, your staple veggies like onions, carrots, and celery add delicious vegetable goodness. They also carry precious vitamins and minerals your body will thank you for.
If you think this recipe gets its thick, creamy consistency from ingredients like butter or half and half, think again! Greek yogurt and cornstarch give the soup its decadent character without loading you up on fat and calories.
Savory spices like sage, thyme, and rosemary team up lend to the soup’s exquisite taste and incredible depth of flavor.
They also carry their share of health benefits:
Sage has antioxidant properties that can remove harmful free radicals and boost the immune system, while helping improve cognition and bone health.
Thyme can lower blood pressure, cure an upset stomach, fight a sore throat, and reduce your risk of cancer, thanks to its antitumor properties.
Rosemary can boost your mood, sooth an upset stomach, and alleviate anxiety. The lovely herb’s antibacterial properties make it a powerful tool against bacterial infections.
Your slow cooker makes throwing together this recipe a breeze. Basically, all you have to do is throw the ingredients in, flip on the appliance, and allow the appliance to work its magic for 4-8 hours, depending on what works for your schedule.
Afterwards, remove and shred the chicken, then return the meat along with the Greek yogurt. Then, simply stir until you’ve reached a desired consistency.
Fork-tender chicken blends beautifully with the nutty wild rice and juicy veggies.
I love this recipe because I can prep the ingredients quickly before beginning my day, and return home to the magical aroma of simmering soup that’s ready to eat. It makes meal planning stress-free, allowing me to take on my busy schedule without worrying about dinner.
Who wouldn’t want to curl up to a scrumptious bowl of soul-warming soup on a chilly evening?
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup | Calories: 250 | Total Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 246mg | Carbohydrates: 22g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 26g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 (6 ounce) boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1/2 cup celery, peeled and diced small
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons corn starch (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cold water (optional)
- Rinse the wild rice and place in the crock pot with the chicken, onion, carrot, celery, broth, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred using a fork. Return the chicken to crock pot along with the Greek yogurt. Stir until the soup is smooth. Ladle into serving bowls and top with parsley. Serve and enjoy!
- If the soup needs thickening, combine the optional cornstarch and cold water. Stir until smooth and then gradually add to the soup until desired consistency is reached.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.