With just one skillet, you can create a yummy, nutrition-packed meal with savory rice.
A stir-fry is the ultimate Asian-inspired dish to whip up on a busy night. Unfortunately, conventional stir-fry recipes use tons of oil and soy sauce to give their vegetables that addictive taste. The extra grease inflates the dish’s calorie content, defeating the purpose that the initially “healthy” vegetables were there to serve.
That’s why we’re hooking you up with the ultimate clean eating Easy Chicken and Rice Skillet Stir-Fry recipe. With just one skillet, you can create a yummy, nutrition-packed meal with savory rice. The bean sprouts, chopped carrots, and shredded cabbage offer an array of crunchy and juicy textures that burst with flavor once cooked. The tender chicken packs filling protein and melts in your mouth with every bite. This one skillet dish tops the charts because it requires minimal cleanup. Put a delicious dinner on the table without the stress!
Easy Chicken and Rice Skillet Stir-Fry
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice uncooked
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots shredded or finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 cups white cabbage shredded
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce low-sodium
- 1 red chili pepper of choice or green, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped or thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
- *Note that if you already have 3 cups cooked rice/leftover rice, that can be used instead of cooking the rice.
- Add 1 1/2 cups rice plus 2 cups water to a pot and bring just to a boil over high heat. Reduce to lowest setting and cover, allowing to cook until all water is absorbed, for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the chicken pieces. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden on all sides and cooked through, for about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil, onions and carrots to the pan over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes until onions and carrots have softened. Add garlic and cook for additional 30 seconds. Stir in cooked rice, cabbage, soy sauce, chili pepper (if using), and sesame oil and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Stir constantly. Add chicken and bean sprouts and cook for additional 2-3 minutes until hot and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We’d love to hear from you! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.