Warm, cinnamon apples might be a great indication of fall weather, but they also scream “Calories!” and “Sugar!” This is especially true if you order a pie or cobbler from a restaurant or diner. This delectable and easy cinnamon apple peanut butter toast recipe is the perfect fix. You can still jump up and down with joy for comforting fall flavors without slumping down into the couch with an upset or bloated tummy.
We lightened things up in our easy cinnamon apple peanut butter toast recipe. Instead of using sugar and butter, our apples are sautéed in cinnamon and Nutiva Organic, Virgin Coconut Oil. Using coconut oil is a perfect substitute because it contains 100% less cholesterol than butter! There’s no need for added sugar, either, because we’re drizzling some pure, local honey on top afterwards. This dish will still taste sweet and satisfying without all that extra sugar to weigh you down.
Whole Grain Toast
Some people are trying to avoid carbohydrates, but we like to eat a balanced diet that includes lots of heart-healthy whole grains. Whole grain bread (like Dave’s Killer Bread Thin-Sliced 21 Whole Grains and Seeds Bread) not only provides your body with slowly-digestible, complex carbohydrates, but this type of bread is filled with nutrients, too. Every slice includes 130 milligrams of omega-3 fatty acids and 12 grams of whole grains!
Add those nutrients to the 7 grams of protein from the Pure Goodness Powdered Peanut Butter and this recipe couldn’t get any better. The powdered peanut butter gives you all the protein you need to get your day started right with significantly less calories. Plus, it adds a rich, savory flavor that matches perfectly with the cinnamon apples and sweet honey.
Healthier cinnamon apples on top of nutrient-dense, whole grain toast with protein-rich peanut butter? Yes, please! Even if these brands aren’t available to you, grab whatever is in your pantry and get to making this recipe. Every bite is bursting with flavor!
Yields: 1 serving | Serving Size: 1 Slice Apple Cinnamon Toast | Calories: 331 | Total Fat: 16 g | Saturated Fat: 12 g | Carbohydrates: 43 g | Fiber: 7 g | Sugar: 23 g | Protein: 9 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 210 mg | SmarPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 1/2 large apple, sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Ground cinnamon to taste, (we used 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 slice organic whole grain bread
- 1/2 tablespoon pure honey
- 2 tablespoons Powdered Peanut Butter, (we used Pure Goodness brand)
- Sprinkle of chia seeds (optional)
- For the cinnamon apples, begin by heating a pan over the stove. Once heated, add the coconut oil to the pan. Once the coconut oil is melted, add the apple slices.
- Let the apple slices simmer for about 30 seconds before adding your desired amount of cinnamon. Sauté the apples for 7-10 minutes depending on how soft you'd like them.
- While the cinnamon apples are cooking, toast your slice of whole grain bread. As it's toasting, put the 2 tablespoons of powdered peanut butter in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the bowl and mix until smooth. Note: if using regular peanut butter (not powdered), simply get a knife ready to spread it onto the toast.
- Once your bread is toasted, spread the peanut butter on top of it. Then add the cinnamon apples, honey, and if you feel like getting in more omega-3's, top your toast off with chia seeds and enjoy!
We have so many great breakfast options on the site – both traditional recipes with eggs and ones like this incredible non-egg breakfast. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram so you don’t miss any of our latest posts.