Try your hand at your very own flavorful jambalaya!
Indulge your tastebuds in this aromatic and flavorful easy shrimp jambalaya. It’s a classic dish modified to fit your clean appetite with fresh veggies and whole grain rice. However, there is no sacrifice on the taste at all. First, on low heat, sauté some onions, bell peppers, and celery along with garlic. To that mixture, add some whole grain brown rice. Season the pan ingredients with the broth, tomato paste, cajun seasoning, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Saving the best for last, add the shrimp and let it cook over medium-low heat. Once that’s cooked, you have your very own Louisiana-style jambalaya! This dish can be served in any season for any meal and tastes great for any occasion!
Easy Shrimp Jambalaya
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion small, diced
- 1 bell pepper diced small, red was used in this recipe
- 2 celery stalks diced, celery leaves for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain brown rice we used Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 3 cups broth vegetable or chicken, fat-free
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes can
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound shrimp medium, deveined and peeled, leave tails on if desired
- Add oil to a large skillet and turn to medium-low heat, add onion, bell pepper, and celery and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 additional minute. Add rice, stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except shrimp, bring to a rolling boil, cover and reduce to a simmer until rice is tender, about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. NOTE: The amount of time it takes to get the rice tender will depend on the long grain brand. Uncle Ben's takes about 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook, over medium-low heat, until pink, about 6 minutes. Turn off the stove burner and allow to set covered for 5 minutes. Add celery leaves as a garnish, if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms