College life is busy, and it’s not always easy to find time to cook! My first year in school, I definitely spent more time in the cafeterias than I should have. The freshman 15 is a very real thing, let me tell you! Finally, my roommate and I got fed up with it. We decided to start cooking more, and we really started seeing the pounds melt off. The only problem was that most slow cooker recipes made 6 or 8 servings, and we just didn’t have the space to store all those leftovers! Recipes like this Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas for Two are designed with a 2- or 3-quart slow cooker in mind to make it simpler than ever to eat healthy, delicious meals.
There’s no need to scale your recipes down when they’re already designed for two! This easy, comforting meal packs all the flavor of unhealthy take-out food but we’ve made some ingredient swaps to skinny it up. As a bonus, it only has five major ingredients (plus a few spices you should already have on your spice rack). So, it really couldn’t be easier to make!
Slow Cooker Versus The Oven
We love using a 3-quart slow cooker (like this Crock-Pot model) when we cook for two. It’s the perfect size for those meals that you just want to toss into the pot and forget about! A few hours later, dinner is ready to serve with little to no effort from you. You can go to your classes, head to work, or run a few errands and know that the slow cooker is safely cooking your meal for you. It’s nice that clean-up is easy, too.
If the slow cooker isn’t an option for you, never fear! You can always bake these Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas for Two in an 8×8 casserole dish (with a thin layer of enchilada sauce spread on the bottom to keep everything from sticking!). It should only take about 30 minutes in a 375 degree F oven. When everything is nice and bubbly, they’re ready to serve!
Yield: 4 enchiladas | Serving Size: 2 enchiladas | Calories: 393 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Fiber: 5 g | Sugar: 10 g | Protein: 38 g | Cholesterol: 104 mg | Sodium: 1249 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1 cup shredded chicken (from one 6-8 ounce chicken breast)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup sugar-free red enchilada sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, divided
- 4 small whole grain tortillas (corn tortillas are not recommended as they tend to fall apart)
- Diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce, for garnish (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the chicken with the garlic powder, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add half of the enchilada sauce, half of the cheddar cheese, and half of the Greek yogurt. Mix well.
- Divide the chicken mixture amongst the flour tortillas, placing it in the center of each tortilla. Roll the tortillas up and place them side-by-side in the 3-quart slow cooker. You can stack them, if you need.
- Combine the remaining enchilada sauce and Greek yogurt. Pour over the enchiladas. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, or until hot and bubbly.
- Cut between each enchilada and carefully remove them, one at a time, with a large spatula. Pour the liquid from the slow cooker over the enchiladas and top each serving with the remaining cheese. Garnish with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce, if desired