A delicious veggie dinner, baked and loaded with warm and melty cheese.
Growing up, my favorite vegetable was pretty much any vegetable covered in cheese. Call it bribery, call it genius parenting. Either way, it worked. Smother any veggie, no matter how kid-repellent, with cheese, and I would happily chow down. I, like most adults, have since acquired a taste for veggies sans cheese. But that doesn’t mean I’m not still a big fan of anything cheesy. And if it promises cheesiness right in the name? So much the better. With that, I present to you this cheesy spinach vegetable bake. An easy and delicious vegetarian dinner recipe, this healthy veggie bake is here to remind you that there’s nothing wrong with getting a little cheesy every now and then.
Putting the Veggies Back in Vegetarian
I’m not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy going meatless every now and then. Even if it’s just a few times a week, a meatless dinner can really help mix things up and keep me feeling light and healthy.
Of course, going meatless doesn’t always mean I’m necessarily eating more veggies. That’s the goal, sure, but I can’t say it always works out. Sometimes, my “meatless Monday” efforts end up looking more like a bowl of pasta or canned soup.
Face it, almost everyone struggles to get enough veggies on a regular basis, even vegetarians. Fortunately, this cheesy spinach vegetable bake is a vegetarian recipe that actually lives up to its name.
This recipe is full of yummy, healthy veggies like spinach, mushrooms, cauliflower, and artichoke hearts. Baked together with three different kinds of warm, melty cheeses, this dish is what vegetarian dreams are made of.
Easy and Cheesy
Now, about that recipe. This cheesy spinach vegetable bake is a delicious comfort food recipe that is actually super healthy for you. Meanwhile, it also happens to be super easy to make.
This yummy and healthy dinner only needs to bake for 20 minutes to achieve the perfect warm and melty comfort food taste. And it’s even quicker to prep.
Start by cooking the cauliflower and mushrooms in a large skillet with olive oil.
Then add the spinach, artichokes, and spices, cooking until the spinach is wilted.
Add the milk and bring to a simmer. Then, add the mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
Pour into your prepared casserole dish, top with whole wheat panko bread crumbs and parmesan, and pop in the oven!
Easy and healthy, this recipe is a perfect meal for busy weeknights. Whether you’re vegetarian, just looking to eat more veggies, or trying to tempt a reluctant young veggie eater with something cheesy AND healthy, you can’t go wrong with this cheesy spinach vegetable bake.
Cheesy Spinach Vegetable Bake | Easy Vegetarian Dinner Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups cauliflower chopped small
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 15 ounces artichoke hearts can, drained and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme not ground
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese fat-free, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese fat-free, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese fat-free, grated
- 1 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil a medium heat. Once hot, add the cauliflower and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until the cauliflower is soft and mushrooms have released their water. About 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the spinach, artichoke, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the milk and bring to a simmer, once simmering stir in the mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Stir, constantly, until melted. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl combine the parmesan and panko. Sprinkle over the spinach mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. After removing from the oven let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms