These delectable egg and toast cups really shake up breakfast! This recipe puts a brilliant twist on two breakfast staples. All you have to do is shape bread slices into muffin cups and crack an egg in each round. Once baked to perfection, you’ll have warm, crunchy toast cradling a fluffy egg.
This dish is an excellent source of protein for any diet. Add a layer of cheddar cheese for a gooey, mouthwatering touch, or a slice of lean turkey if you have morning meat cravings. Vegetarians still get plenty of nutrients from the eggs without sacrificing any flavor. Even your breakfast-skipping friends will savor these light and fluffy Egg and Toast Breakfast Cups!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 278 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 224mg | Sodium: 401mg | Carbohydrates: 13g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Protein: 21g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- 3 slices nitrate-free deli turkey or vegan turkey substitute, sliced in half, optional*
- 1/2 cup grated reduced fat cheddar cheese, optional*
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- *Note that turkey and cheese are both optional ingredients. This recipe can be made with just eggs and toast, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 6 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray or lightly grease with olive oil. Lightly press each slice of bread into a round. Fold over and press edges of bread to fit in the muffin cup, if necessary.
- Brush each slice of bread with olive oil. The back of a spoon can be used if you do not have a pastry or basting brush. Sprinkle the bottom of each cup with cheddar cheese, if using. Add a layer of turkey, folded over to fit if using.
- Crack an egg into each bread round. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are set.
- Serve and enjoy!
What would you like to see on SkinnyMs.? Let us know!