These stuffed baked tomatoes stand alone as a high-protein meal or a brunch favorite!
Juicy tomatoes replace the bowl in our Egg and Turkey Bacon Stuffed Baked Tomato breakfast. This recipe stuffs nutritious egg and turkey bacon filling in a tomato, along with vegetables and low-fat cheese. We’ve packed these little tomato boats full of protein and nutrients, so they’ll keep you full and satisfied throughout the day.
These stuffed baked tomatoes stand alone as a high-protein meal, although they also shine on a brunch menu! Feel free to substitute whatever veggies you have lying around, or experiment with turkey sausage if you like. You can even omit the meat altogether if you need a vegetarian breakfast option!
Egg and Turkey Bacon Stuffed Baked Tomato
- 4 tomatoes large
- 4 turkey bacon strips nitrate-free, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper diced
- 3 tablespoons mushrooms diced
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese low-fat, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- Cut the top off of the tomatoes and gently scoop out the inside of the tomato to create a cup. Be careful not to poke a hole in the bottom or sides. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- In a skillet on medium heat, cook the bacon. When the bacon is half cooked, add the peppers and mushrooms. Cook until bacon is crisp and peppers are soft. Remove from heat, spoon mixture into tomato cups.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, and salt, Pour into tomato cups, leaving about 1/4 of an inch of space at the top of the cup. Top each tomato cup with cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until egg is cooked through and cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow to rest a few minutes before serving!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
You might like these other 7 High-Protein Breakfasts to Try This Week!
Let us know how the recipe turned out in the comments below!