Sometimes you just want to do something seemingly very simple, like roast a chicken. And you think to yourself, “Well, that’s so simple. I shouldn’t even need a recipe”. And then you set out to roast that chicken and you find that you can’t decide on the best way to roast it to juicy, healthy perfection, after all! And that’s where SkinnyMs. steps in. We’ve got what we call our Everything Roasted Chicken dish. It’s simple, straightforward, and answers all of your roast chicken questions.
The only ingredients are one whole chicken, some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and you’re good to go! So put away the complicated recipes and eliminate the stress. The SkinnyMs. Everything Roasted Chicken dish is as easy as it is delicious. All you need is five minutes, and basically zero culinary skill, to prepare your chicken, and 30 minutes to allow it to roast in the oven while you go about other business. Add a fresh salad and a rice or quinoa dish and you’ve got yourself a simple, wholesome meal the whole family will love. Don’t just take our word for it. Give it a try tonight!
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 278 | Total Fat: 21 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 371 mg | Cholesterol: 86 mg | Carbohydrates: 0 g | Fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 0 g | Protein: 21 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1 (5-pound) whole chicken, free-range organic recommended
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Make sure the chicken is thoroughly thawed. A fresh chicken is best, when possible. Remove the neck and giblets bag inside and either throw away or use for making broth.
- Sprinkle the cavity with each 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Rub or brush the outside of the chicken with oil and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. If preferred, tie the legs with a string.
- Place chicken breast side up in a roasting pan, cover and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 400 degrees and cook one hour, or until chicken thighs have reached an internal temperature of 180 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and leave in the roasting pan and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. Place on a serving platter and drizzle with the broth from the roasting pan.
- NOTE: If you prefer, add additional herbs to the inside of the chicken. I love this chicken with just oil, salt, and pepper. It's super moist and fall off the bone delicious!
You’ll love our Everything Roasted Chicken in these 5 recipes: