This is two-recipes-in-one! Fig jam (with dates) can be prepared and used for the crostini recipe, with more to spare for jarring for toast or giving as gifts. The recipe makes 3 half-pints. Of course, just the jam can be made, too! The recipe that follows includes both the jam recipe and assembly of the crostini recipe.
For the jam:
Yields: 36 servings | Serving size: 1 tablespoon | Calories: 27 | Total Fat: 0 gm | Saturated Fats: 0 | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 2 mg | Carbohydrates: 7 gm | Dietary fiber: 0 gm | Sugars: 6 gm | Protein: 0 gm| SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
For the crostini with jam and goat cheese:
Yields: 8 servings | Serving size: 3 crostini slices | Calories: 103 | Total Fat: 6 gm | Saturated Fats: 3 gm | Points Plus: | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 11 mg | Sodium: 231 mg | Carbohydrates: 9 gm | Dietary fiber: 0 gm | Sugars: 6 gm | Protein: 3 gm|
- 2 cups ( about 3/4 pound) coarsely chopped dried figs (mission figs preferred)
- 1 cup (about ½ pound) coarsely chopped pitted dates (mejool dates preferred)
- 1 cup real maple syrup, coconut palm sugar, succanot or natural sweetener of choice
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Crostini with Goat Cheese (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) package plain or herbed soft goat cheese
- 1 whole wheat baguette
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the jam:
- Sterilize 3 ½ pint jars for canning.
- Bring figs and water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and sweetener. Mash the figs with a potato masher while cooking to break them up. Simmer for about 20- 25 minutes, until a jammy, but not dry, consistency is achieved.
- Ladle into ½ pint prepared jars, leaving ½” head space at the top of each jar.
- Makes about 3 jars jam.
- Optional Crostini with Goat Cheese: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut each crostini diagonally. Brush crostini on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for about 7 minutes on a baking sheet, or until golden and crisp. Spread a generous layer of goat cheese on the crostini, and add 1 tablespoon of the jam.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.