Frying these grain-free protein pancakes will infuse your home with the smell of gingerbread all morning long.
This devine gluten free pancake recipe was created by Leanne is a Holistic Nutritionist and writer for her wholesome living blog Healthful Pursuit where she shares her passion for eating intuitively, and creating gluten-free and often allergen-free recipes. Join Leanne on Pinterest for more fantastic recipes.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving the newest and best recipes via email from SkinnyMs., signup here: eNewsletter Signup.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 small pancakes | Calories: 164 | Total Fat: 3.1 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 146 mg | Carbohydrates: 26.9 g | Dietary Fiber: 7.0 g | Sugars: 6.6 g | Protein: 8.7 g | SmartPoints: 5 |
- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk – I used unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup egg whites or 1 flax egg (1 tbsp freshly ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free pure vanilla extract
- 10 drops vanilla stevia or 2 tbsp xylitol *see note
- ⅔ cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine almond milk and chia and allow to sit for 10 minutes – this will get the chia all gelatinous and good for your digestion. Alternatively, allow the chia to soak overnight in the milk, then add to the recipe.
- Preheat a small non-stick pan on medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the wet ingredients.
- Stir until just mixed.
- Pour ¼ of the mixture into the preheated pan. Allow the first side to cook for 3-4 minutes, or until bubbles form and the edges begin to turn golden.
- Flip and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Place completed pancake on cooling rack and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with melted coconut oil, maple syrup, chopped apple and pecans.
- Feel free to replace the xylitol with 2 tablespoons of another type of sweetener. Palm sugar, honey, maple syrup or demerara sugar would all be good choices.