Your next holiday dinner doesn’t have to be loaded with fat and empty calories. Why not go healthier and gluten-free with this Gluten Free Quinoa Holiday Dressing? Quinoa is a great alternative to the bread and rice usually found in dressings and casseroles, and our Quinoa Holiday Dressing is proof that you don’t have to give up taste for nutrition. Be sure to make plenty, though. This satisfying recipe is sure to go quickly! Learn more about the health benefits of quinoa here.
Yield: Servings 10 | Serving: 1/10th of recipe | Calories: 171 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 19 mg | Sodium: 263 mg | Carbohydrates: 26 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 4 g | SmartPoints: 6 |
- 1 cup pre-rinsed quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth, low-fat and low-sodium (optional vegetable broth)
- 8 cups lightly toasted gluten-free bread, cut or torn into bite size cubes
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, or Skinny Ms. Poultry Seasoning with a Hint of Citrus recipe
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons pure butter, melted
- 2 cups finely diced celery
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 to 4 cups chicken broth, low-fat and low-sodium (optional vegetable broth)
- In a medium saucepan, add quinoa and broth, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook quiona until most liquid has been absorbed, about 12 minutes. Quinoa will continue to cook when baking. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Tear or cut toast into small, bite size pieces. Combine toast pieces, quinoa, pepper, salt and poultry seasoning in a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet add butter and saute celery and onion on medium-low heat until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Pour over cubed toast mixture. Add 2 cups broth and stir to combine. Add additional broth for a more moist dressing.
- Lightly mist a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and add dressing. Bake covered for 20 minutes, remove lid or foil and bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes or until desired color has been reached.
Do you love to cook with Quinoa or want to learn? Learning to cook with quinoa is simple! Your family will love these recipes, including our decadent fudge. Enjoy the fantastic recipes featured in The New Quinoa E-book.