If you’d like to have a moist cake without all the refined ingredients, give Grandma’s recipe a try. This delicious applesauce cake recipe is a hit with children and adults, and it is one of the best healthy cakes recipes we have in our collection. We’ve taken this traditional recipe favorite and swapped sea salt for table salt, and white flour and white sugar for healthier alternatives.
Dessert often causes a great deal of stress for those trying to maintain a healthy diet. Dessert dishes are usually packed with sugar – it’s what makes them sweet! – and often loaded with saturated fat. Unfortunately, this makes dessert difficult to enjoy if you are concerned about your health or weight. Luckily, we’ve found a few solutions for enjoying dessert without sabotaging your health.
Another option is to choose healthier ingredients when making your desserts. Instead of buying a package of cookies from the supermarket, invest in high quality, healthy ingredients and whip up a batch of your favorite desserts in your own kitchen. This gives you complete control over what you are eating.
Yields: 10 servings | Calories: 307 | Total Fat: 12 gm | Saturated Fats: 3 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 26 mg | Sodium: 369 mg | Carbohydrates: 40 gm | Dietary fiber: 8 gm | Sugars: 20 gm | Protein: 3 gm | SmartPoints: 12 |
- 2 1/2 cups flour (I used King Arthur's White Whole Wheat)
- 1 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar, sucanat works well too
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 sweet apple, cored, peeled and chopped into 1/4" pieces (I used Gala)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups natural applesauce (here's my recipe)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil (I used unrefined coconut oil (melted and cooled slightly), canola oil will also work)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9" x 13" cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients, whisk well to combine. If using walnuts or raisins, add and toss in with dry ingredients. Set aside dry ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl, whisk until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir with a large spoon to incorporate. Pour into cake pan and bake 45 - 50 (check after 45 minutes) minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- This cake is best when completely cooled and even better the next day.
- NOTE: Grandma's recipe called for 2 cups white sugar. Of course, I used an unrefined sweetener and reduced the sugar by 1/3 cup. Feel free to reduce it even more, maybe to 1 1/2 cups. Although I think it has just the right amount of sweetness. Since this is a dessert recipe, you can expect it to have some type of sweetener which in turn has added carbs and sugars. This, like any dessert, is meant to be an occasional treat!
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.