Our Greek Lentil Soup is a tasty and healthy way to incorporate lentils into your diet!
Lentils are great in general because they are creamy, filling, and high in protein. Our Greek Lentil Soup is a tasty and healthy way to incorporate lentils into your diet! In addition to lentils, we’ve added vegetables, herbs, and Greek-inspired spices to flavor it. As an added bonus, it’s prepared in less than an hour, so it’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
Serve with a toasted whole wheat pita, a sprinkle of either vegan cheese or yogurt, for non-vegan folks. It’s a perfect and complete meat-free dinner that won’t leave you wanting for protein!
Greek Lentil Soup
- 1 cup lentils dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup celery diced small
- 1 cup yellow onions diced small
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup carrots diced small
- 4 cups vegetable broth low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 to 4 tablespoons tomato paste no sugar added
- 1 whole-wheat pita
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 lemon wedges
- Bring a medium saucepot of water to a boil. Rinse lentils in cool water and add to boiling water. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until lentils are about half done. Drain and reserve.
- In a large saucepot heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add celery, onion, garlic, and carrot. Cook until fragrant and onions are translucent. Add the broth, cooked lentils, rosemary, oregano, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes until vegetables and lentils are tender. While the soup is simmering, remove bay leaves and add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Stir until combined to thicken the soup. If soup needs additional thickening, add additional tomato paste 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Lightly toast the pita on each side. Remove from skillet and cool. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and drizzle the red wine vinegar over each serving. Serve with two toasted pita triangles and lemon wedge on the side. Squeeze lemon juice over soup as much as desired.
- OPTIONAL: Serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt or sprinkle low-fat feta cheese on top.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy lentils? Share with us in the comments!