Hearty, filling, and packed with flavor!
Easy, filling, and surprisingly light, this Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet makes for a quick and hearty meal. Light and flavorful, lean ground turkey and nutrient-rich sweet potato will fill you up without weighing you down. Topped with creamy low-fat mozzarella and filled with onions and peppers, this meal is home cooked comfort food that won’t show on your waistline! Meanwhile, cumin, chili powder, and a dash of cilantro leave this easy meal bursting with flavor. Rich in both protein and veggies, this turkey and sweet potato skillet is the perfect one-pot meal.
Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced small
- 1 cup onion diced small
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sweet potatoes large, peeled and diced medium
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese part-skim, low-fat, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey, breaking the meat into smaller pieces as it cooks. Once fully cooked, add the olive oil, garlic, bell pepper, and onion. Cook on medium heat until the onion and pepper just begin to soften. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Add the sweet potatoes and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft and water has evaporated. If needed, additional water can be added to keep the potatoes cooking and prevent the meat from drying out.
- Remove the skillet from the heat at top with the mozzarella. Cover and allow cheese to melt. Sprinkle cilantro on top just before serving. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you loved this quick and easy meal, check out 6 more Easy Skillet Dinners for Weight Loss!