Lemon and ginger are such a great, revitalizing combination, that when they are added to some fizzy, sparkling water, the most perfect of healthy drinks is created. Ginger has quite a history when it comes to offering benefits and flavor to American beverages. Ginger ale was America’s most popular soft drink from 1890- 1930 because ginger was a known remedy for stomach ailments.
Ginger has a lot of medicinal properties. It can help with pain, inflammation, headaches, motion sickness, nausea, pms, and more. It can also alleviate some cold or flu symptoms, so this homemade ginger ale of sorts will be great to imbibe in if you’re feeling sick.
You might also like some of these other tasty Flavored Water Recipes from SkinnyMs.
Servings: 4 | Serving Size: 2 cups | Calories: 24 | Total Fat: 0 g | Saturated Fats: 0 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 8 mg | Carbohydrates: 6 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 0 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 1
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 4 inches of ginger root, juiced
- 6-8 cups of seltzer or mineral water
- ¼ cup agave nectar or 1-1/4 teaspoons liquid stevia
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Grate the ginger on the finest holes of a box grater (cheese grater). With a spoon scrape any of the minced ginger from the back of the grater and into a bowl. Put the minced ginger in a cheesecloth and squeeze the juice into a bowl. If there’s no cheesecloth, the ginger can be squeezed through the hands.
- Alternatively, process the ginger until fine in a food processor and then squeeze through a cheesecloth or just with your hands into a bowl.
- Combine the ginger juice, lemon juice, and sweetener and add an even amount to 4 glasses filled with ice. Top with seltzer or mineral water and stir well.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite recipe from SkinnyMs.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.