You don’t need to love beets to enjoy this cool and refreshing drink. Our Hot Pink Cooler drink is a perfect alternative to soda and even other types of juice. Many people do not realize that juices advertised as fresh fruit are actually packed with refined sugar. This alternative to store bought juices is made with fresh, whole ingredients and easy to make. It can be made in bulk and stored in the refrigerator for a few days, or you can make a single serving and enjoy it all at once. Cooler drinks and fresh cooler recipes are great for hot summer days, but can also be enjoyed year-round, especially for those who love fresh juice.
Have you ever wanted to try a new fruit or vegetable, but you were unsure if the taste would be unappealing. A lot of people are afraid to try new fruits and vegetables because they are afraid the taste will be too bitter, too sour, or just something they do not enjoy. When you mix these fruits and veggies into juice, you are able to mask the unusual or unappealing flavor with other foods you love. This is the case with beets. Some people love beets, but others prefer a less earthy taste with their fruits and vegetables. Unfortunately, when you skip beets and other produce, you miss out on the health benefits. When you mix them into juices, you get all of the health benefits without having to gulp down a drink you do not like!
Yields: 1 serving | Serving Size: 8 fl oz | Calories: 153 | Total Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 67 mg | Carbohydrates: 35 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 27 g | Protein: 3 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8 |
- 1 medium beet, roasted, chilled and peeled (you can always buy whole beets already cooked in a can)
- 1 cup 100% orange juice (freshly squeezed was used in the photo)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 thumb-size knob fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash beet, remove stem and slice off ends. Rub the beet with a few drops of olive oil, wrap in foil and place on a cookie sheet. Bake approximately 50 minutes or until tender. If making more than one drink, increase the number of beets used. Allow beet to cool at room temperature, refrigerate until chilled. Remove beet from foil and peel.
- Add to the blender, beet and ginger root, blend until combined. Add orange and lemon juice, blend until beet is thoroughly blended. Pour over ice and enjoy!
- This recipe makes 1 1/2 servings and yields about 1 1/2 cups.
- To make 1/2 gallon: use 6 beets, 3 thumb-size knobs fresh ginger, 7 cups orange juice and juice of one lemon.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.