Creamy lentils meet crunchy walnuts in this nutritious crowd-pleaser!
This simple mixture of lentils, herbs, and walnuts is filling, and it tastes wonderful too! Lighter than bean salad recipes, delicate lentils and crunchy walnuts are protein-packed salad ingredients that can make delicious salad meals or be part of a healthy salad menu for a summer party. Plus, they’re a SUPERFOOD, too!
A small amount of lemon confit can be added to this Lemony French Lentil Salad for extra flavor, or a little lemon olive oil (from the confit) can be used.
Herby Lemony French Lentil Salad
- 1 cup green lentils dry
- 1/4 cup basil leaves fresh, chopped (optional, thyme leaves loosely packed, discard stems)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Put the lentils, salt and bay leaf in a medium pot in 3 cups water and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and allow the lentils to simmer for 30- 40 minutes, or until softened all the way through, adding water as they cook if necessary.
- Cool lentils to room temperature then place in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Add the thyme leaves, olive oil, walnuts (optional) and lemon juice to the chilled lentils and toss to coat. Taste and add salt if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite recipe from Skinny Ms.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.