Warm and chewy delights drizzled with mouthwatering caramel sauce.
There’s nothing quite like homemade cinnamon rolls for the holidays. This recipe is actually pretty simple and worth every second. Your family and guests will love these, melt in your mouth rolls, drizzled with warm caramel sauce. We added pomegranate seeds for more festive cinnamon rolls…a burst of juice with every bite.
Holiday Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/2 cup pure unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar optional 1/3 cup plus one tablespoon honey
- 2 cups low fat milk 1% to 2%, not skim
- 1 yeast package
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 to 5 cups white whole wheat flour used in this recipe was King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup pure unsalted butter melted
- 6 tablespoons coconut palm sugar optional, sucant or stevia
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds optional filling: raisins, minced nuts, coconut, orange zest or cran-raisins
- Add to a large saucepan butter, coconut palm sugar and milk. Bring uncovered mixture to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat as soon as it starts to boil. Cover saucepan and allow mixture to cool to lukewarm. The mixture should be slightly warm in order to activate the yeast.
- Use an electric mixer, sprinkle one package yeast over milk mixture and add a little flour at a time while mixing, until the dough resembles cake batter consistency, approximately 1 1/2 cups flour. Cover saucepan, set in a warm place and allow to rise for two hours.
- Add salt, baking powder and soda, stir to combine. Add enough flour to resemble a soft biscuit dough, approximately 2 1/2 cups flour. Cover and allow to set in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or up to 24 hours to make ahead.
- For instructional photos on preparing the cinnamon rolls, click here.
- Turn dough out onto a surface lightly dusted with flour, knead and add additional flour as needed, or until dough has lost some of its stickiness. Knead about 2 to 3 minutes. On a lightly floured surfaced, using a rolling pin, roll dough to 1/4" thick rectangle.
- Evenly spread melted butter on dough, leave about 1/2" around the edges unbuttered. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon with sweetener, sprinkle evenly over butter. Next, sprinkle the pomegranate seeds, or other optional fillings, on the dough.
- Start rolling the dough at the end closest to you. Roll up the dough, tightening the log as you go. After the dough is rolled, pinch the seam to close. Use a serrated knife and cut the rolls into even pieces, about 1 1/2" to 2" each. The yield is approximately 20 cinnamon rolls. Place the rolls on a parchment-lined or non-stick cookie sheet. Make sure the rolls are slightly touching.
- Allow rolls to rise in a warm place, free of drafts, until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake in a 375 degree oven until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool about 30 minutes before serving. If desired, drizzle with warm caramel sauce. Click here for the recipe.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms