Sriracha has to be one of our favorite recent discoveries here at SkinnyMs. While this delectable sauce has its origins in Thailand as a spicy dipping sauce, it has begun to appear in supermarkets, kitchens, and on restaurant menus across the world over the last decade. It adds a depth of flavor and a terrific spice to any meal, and, fortunately for us, it has very little fat or calories. Made from chili paste, vinegar, garlic, salt, and a small amount of sweetener, sriracha is as healthy as it is flavorful.
In our latest, greatest, Asian-inspired chicken dish, we’ve combined sriracha’s powerful savory spice with the sweetness of honey, the tang of lime juice, popular soy sauce, and ginger to create depth and a gourmet feel. This sauce is sweet and hot, and appeals to palates of all ages, so don’t be afraid to serve this dish at your next dinner party, or on a weeknight with the kids.
We’ve combined these fantastically healthy ingredients with skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Chicken’s white meat is low in fat, cholesterol, and calories, but packs protein, making this dish a nutritional winner. Serve it on top of a bed of brown rice, and watch the faces around your dining table light up!
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 247 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 901 mg | Cholesterol: 48 mg | Carbohydrates: 15 g | Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 18 g | SmartPoints: 8
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons lite soy sauce, optional tamari
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast fillets, cubed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Chives, minced (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix the water, soy sauce, honey, sriracha, lime juice and ginger, set aside.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and pepper and roll chicken pieces to coat, shake off excess.
- Over medium heat, in a large saucepan add olive oil, cook the chicken until they are starting to become golden brown. Push them to one side of the pan then add the garlic. Toss for about a minute or until they become fragrant and golden in color.
- Pour the prepared sauce over the chicken and toss to coat. Cook the chicken until the sauce thickens. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and chives if using. Serve over steamed brown rice or quinoa while still hot.
- For an added crunch, add 1/2 cup cashews or water chestnuts, just after the sauce thickens. Toss to coat and cook an additional 30 seconds or so.
Like us on Facebook and get the skinny on new recipes and workouts straight from the source. And be sure to check out our Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter for the best of the best in clean eating and workout challenges.
Speak your mind in our comments section! We’d love to hear your thoughts on this post, and on our other content.