This honey wheat pizza crust recipe is a great alternative to other crust options. It is flavorful and makes a great base for all of your favorite pizza toppings, but it is much healthier than white flour crusts. Healthy pizzas are possible and delicious, but you need to know a few tricks to clean up your favorite pizza recipe. Instead of dialing your local delivery service the next time you have a craving for pizza, whip up with healthy pizza recipe with honey wheat crust.
In addition to health-ifying the crust, there are others ways to create healthier pizza recipes. Instead of canned or bottled sauce, which can be heavy on sodium and other unappealing ingredients, fresh sauces feature whole ingredients and can be boosted even further with extra vegetables.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice | Calories: 349 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 298 mg | Carbohydrates: 47 g | Dietary Fiber: 2g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1 1/4 cups warm water, approximately 110 degrees
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon mild honey, I used wildflower honey
- 3 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour, I used unrefined King Arthur brand
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Combine in a small bowl water, yeast, and honey. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. In a medium bowl whisk together flour and salt until incorporated. Combine olive oil to yeast mixture and slowly add to flour and salt, stir until it forms a ball.
- Lightly flour work surface, turn dough out and knead approximately 5 minutes or until smooth. Mist a medium bowl with olive oil, add dough and turn to coat all sides with oil. Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and allow to rise until doubled in size, approximately one hour.
- Sprinkle work surface with 1 tablespoon cornmeal, divide dough in half and roll to 1/4" thick into two 12" round shapes. Brush the top of each dough with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle each with the remaining 1 tablespoon cornmeal.
- Place oiled side of dough on pre-heated griddle. Brush top of each dough with the remaining olive oil. Cook until bottoms are lightly browned, approximately 5 minutes. Turn dough over and cook until browned. Remove crusts and allow to cool until ready to add pizza sauce and toppings.
- Homemade pizza sauce recipe
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.