These Individual Shepherd’s Pies will be a surefire crowd favorite at your next dinner party! They’re hearty, filling, and packed into single serving portions so you’re unlikely to overindulge. The Irish-inspired delights burst with silky potato flavor and loads of warm veggies. The lean meat packs a protein punch, and the reduced-fat cheddar cheese adds savory gooeyness to each belly-warming pie. The chewy peas and crunchy corn offer tasty texture, while the pie’s crust-less profile slashes calories and fat from traditional versions. This foolproof recipe is easy to store overnight and makes delicious leftovers.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 ramekin | Calories: 323 | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 109mg | Carbohydrates: 38g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 19g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9 |
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste, canned or homemade
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce, optional balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, optional
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 6 ramekins or small crocks on a baking sheet.
- Place potato pieces into a pot of cold salted water over high heat and bring to a boil, allowing to boil for about 15 minutes. Once fork tender, drain. Return potatoes to pan. Add milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mash well.
- Meanwhile, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Break up the meat and stir occasionally. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until browned and completely cooked through. Drain any excess fat.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, onions, carrots, and thyme to the skillet. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until they have softened a bit. Add corn and peas and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the ground turkey to the vegetables, stirring to combine, and breaking up poultry as it cooks. Stir in worcestershire sauce (or balsamic vinegar), tomato paste, and broth. Cook for an additional 8 minutes. Form a space for the garlic, add in, cook for 30 seconds and stir in with the rest of the ingredients. Remove from heat.
- Place the ground turkey mixture on the bottom of each ramekin. Top with cheddar cheese, if using, and the mashed potatoes, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then set broiler and place under for 3 minutes until top is golden. Handle hot ramekins carefully. Serve ramekins on individual plates as they will be too hot to handle. Enjoy!
What comfort food recipes would you like to see on SkinnyMs.? Let us know what you think!