A super easy Instant Pot version of the rich and creamy soup!
If you grew up eating canned soup, the first time you try a non-canned version of a canned soup favorite is an experience. I still remember the first time I tasted restaurant clam chowder. Rich and creamy, it was nothing like the watery canned stuff with its chewy clams and starchy lumps of potato. Once you break out of the canned soup world, there’s just no going back. (Which is a good thing, really, because who needs all the extra sodium? No thanks!)
My first post-can chicken and wild rice soup experience was similar. I had never been a huge chicken and wild rice fan. A committed pasta lover, I always thought of rice as a disappointing alternative, so I preferred to stick to the classic chicken noodle. However, done right, chicken and wild rice soup is actually an all-time favorite. It has a perfect rich and creamy consistency that I absolutely love in a soup.
This Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup is a quick and easy, slimmed down version of the classic. Warm, thick, and creamy, it’s the perfect soup for cool nights. Best of all, you can whip up this simple recipe in the Instant Pot in under an hour.
Quick and Easy
As with most Instant Pot recipes, this one is a breeze to throw together.
To make this Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup, start by placing the wild rice into the Instant Pot along with your chicken breasts, onion, carrot, celery, broth, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Set the pot to manual mode with high pressure and set the timer for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the pressure manually and removing the lid.
Then remove the chicken and shred using a fork. This shredded chicken, along with the rice will help your soup achieve a rich, hearty texture.
Then just add the Greek yogurt, stirring until smooth. Ready to serve! Almost as easy as the canned stuff, and about a thousand times better and better for you.
Some Like It Thick
This soup achieves a naturally rich and thick consistency thanks to hearty, textured ingredients like shredded chicken and rice. Meanwhile, Greek yogurt (a go-to clean eating secret ingredient) adds a creamy consistency, no heavy cream required.
However, there’s nothing I like better than a super thick and creamy soup. If you want to thicken up your Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup a bit, feel free to add cornstarch and cold water until the soup reaches desired thickness.
Craving this delicious soup but not yet a proud Instant Pot owner? Go old school with this slow cooker recipe. It’s just as rich and delicious, and still the perfect soup to curl up with on a chilly fall day or cold winter night!
Instant Pot Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 1 cup wild rice uncooked
- 18 ounces boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup yellow onion diced small
- 1/2 cup carrot peeled and diced small
- 1/2 cup celery peeled and diced small
- 6 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups Greek yogurt fat-free, plain
- 1/4 cup parsley fresh, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch optional
- 3 tablespoons cold water optional
- Rinse the wild rice and place in the Instant Pot with the chicken, onion, carrot, celery, broth, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Set the pot to manual mode with high pressure and set the timer for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the pressure manually and removing the lid.
- Remove the chicken and shred using a fork. Return the chicken to Instant Pot along with the Greek yogurt. Stir until the soup is smooth. Ladle into serving bowls and top with parsley. Serve and enjoy!
- If the soup needs thickening, combine the optional cornstarch and cold water. Stir until smooth and then gradually add to the soup until desired consistency is reached.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms