When I found out about slow cooker pot roast recipes, I thought life couldn’t get any better. Talk about time-saving–you just toss the ingredients into the bowl, turn it onto low, and you’ll have a shreddable, tender roast waiting for you when you come home from work. The only problem with slow cooker recipes is you have to be prepared in advance. If you forgot to set the Crock Pot before you leave for work, you won’t have dinner! That’s why I love this Instant Pot Sunday Pot Roast recipe so much.
Like a slow cooker, the Instant Pot makes it easy to turn tough chuck roast into a melt-in-your-mouth experience. The major difference is that the Instant Pot cooks your food under pressure, taking a fraction of the time as old-fashioned cooking methods. That means you can cook a roast in under two hours!
Instant Pot Sunday Pot Roast Starts with the Saute Function
If you’ve never used an Instant Pot before, you might not know about all the different functions. A slow cooker usually has three settings: Low, High, and Warm. There are so many more buttons on an Instant Pot! One of those buttons is called Saute.
This function is so important for infusing the most amount of flavor into your Instant Pot Sunday Pot Roast. You’ll want to start with this setting so you can sear the roast on all sides. Then, once it is golden brown and looking delicious, scrape up all the bits in the bottom of the pot, set the chuck roast in the steaming rack, and cook it on High Pressure for 90 minutes. It’s as easy as that!
Before you get started, make sure to learn all about these important Instant Pot safety tips. Then, get ready to enjoy this tasty meal!
Yield: servings | Serving Size: about 5 to 6 ounces of cooked meat | Calories: 363 | Total Fat: 16 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Carbohydrates: 6 g | Protein: 51 g | Cholesterol: 145 mg | Sodium: 412 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (not ground thyme)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- Set the Instant Pot to the saute function with high heat. Heat the olive oil.
- Season all sides of the chuck roast with the garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme. Sear each side of the roast in the olive oil until browned and crispy, the meat will not be fully cooked after each side has been browned. Remove the beef and add the broth. Stir, scraping the bottom of the Instant Pot, until the brother begins to simmer. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Place the cooking rack into the Instant Pot and place the beef on the rack. Spread the tomato paste over top. Place the lid on the pot and make sure the valve is sealed. Set the Instant Pot to Manual with high pressure and set the timer for 90 minutes.
- Once time is up, let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes before manually releasing the steam. Slice the roast and serve.
The Instant Pot can save you so much time and energy in the kitchen, and we want to help you learn how to use it! Follow us on Pinterest to browse our entire collection of Instant Pot recipes.