Roasted vegetables taste amazing and are super nutritious!
Roasted vegetables are a great alternative to raw or overcooked, mushy veggies. Roasting helps produce maintain some of the vegetables’ nutrients, but avoids some of the digestive issues that accompany raw vegetable eating for some. Not to mention roasted veggies taste great! This summer basil and veggies recipe is bursting with the bright, fresh flavor of fresh herbs.
In addition to being a great way to get a variety of veggies into your diet, the tomatoes in this dish are filled with lycopene. Lycopene is believed to aid in preventing a variety of cancers. Studies show that eating at least four servings of cooked tomatoes each week provides the greatest benefit. Some health experts recommend ketchup or tomato soup for lycopene options, but those are often filled with sugar or salt. You are better off whipping up a recipe of your own from scratch with cooked tomatoes, so you are sure to reap the benefits without any negative trade-offs.
Blending a variety of vegetables also provides more benefits than just a serving of a single vegetable. It enables you to get several different vitamins and nutrients, all in one dish. Kids might even love this veggie-filled dish because it is so brightly colored. No need to worry about wilted, brown, over-cooked veggie here!
If you are looking for an accompaniment to a healthy Italian meal or you want something light and fresh for dinner, these roasted vegetables are a great option. After your meal, enjoy one of our delicious, yet good-for-you Dessert Options.
Italian Roasted Vegetables with Summer Basil
- 1 eggplant small, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper stem and seeds removed, cut into 4 slices
- 1 red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sweet basil fresh, chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl add all vegetables, drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and basil, and toss to coat. Line rimmed cookie sheet with foil, add vegetables and loosely cover with foil. Roast 20 minutes. Remove foil and roast 5 additional minutes.
- Sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Enjoy with your favorite grilled meat or eat as a standalone dish.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.