Korean BBQ is one of my favorite things to order from the many wonderful food trucks in my area. It combines so many delicious elements: savory barbecue, lean beef, and Asian spices. Following a keto eating plan can be challenging when visiting food trucks or local restaurants. This Korean BBQ Cabbage Cups recipe gives me all of the flavors of one of my favorite cuisines without any of the guilt.
KETO Friendly BBQ Sauce
This healthy Korean BBQ Cabbage Cups recipe incorporates all the flavors that make Korean BBQ unique. It also happens to do so while eliminating the sugar and carbs that can sabotage your keto eating plan, too!
The key flavors of a good Korean BBQ sauce include several elements. First, you have your aromatics – the yellow onion, garlic, and ginger – which deepen in flavor as they’re cooked in sesame oil. Next, add saltiness from the low-sodium soy sauce, which is balanced by the acidity from the rice wine vinegar. Finally, incorporate some heat with the red chili paste, and you’ll end up with a beautifully rounded sauce.
A Food Truck Favorite
I often wonder how my favorite food trucks make the dishes I love. The answer I usually get is not exactly keto-friendly. The sauces and condiments they use include added sugars, preservatives, and excess carbs that can sabotage my healthy eating goals.
To alleviate this problem, I like to re-make their dishes at home. That way, I can be assured that what I’m consuming is in line with my goals. It gives me the peace of mind that comes with knowing that my favorite foods truck dishes contain clean, whole ingredients!
Yield: 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 cabbage cups | Calories: 268 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Carbohydrates: 8 g | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 3 g | Protein: 25 g | Cholesterol: 74 mg | Sodium: 473 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chili paste
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large skillet on high heat, cook the ground beef breaking it into small pieces as it cooks. Once fully cooked, drain off any excess liquid. Return the pan to the stove and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and sesame oil to the ground beef. Cook just until the onion begin to turn translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, chili paste, and vinegar and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Place 2 to 3 tablespoon of the ground beef into each cabbage cup and top with the green onion and cilantro. Serve hot.
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? First, subscribe to our newsletter. Then, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to not only get fantastic healthy recipes but also to receive exercise tips, meal plans and much more!