Now, you can skip the carbs without skipping out on your favorite comfort food.
Everyone has their own unique spin on a classic Italian lasagna. But, if you’re trying to cut carbs, those recipes just won’t cut it. Get ready to beat them all with this low-carb Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash! We’ve combined the health benefits of the incredible spaghetti squash with ground turkey, tomatoes, and cheese for a dish that will satisfy your Italian food cravings. This way, you can skip the carbs without skipping out on your favorite comfort food.
Serve this healthy lasagna alternative with a light salad and Garlic Cauliflower Breadsticks for a meal that’s sure to stay on your monthly menu rotation!
Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 2 spaghetti squash medium
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 25 ounces marinara jar, no sugar added
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced, divded
- 3 cups baby spinach loosely packed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cottage cheese low-fat
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese part-skim, shredded
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove the center seeds and stringy parts of the flesh, discard. Using a roasting pan, pour just enough water to cover the bottom. Place the squash cut-side down and cover with foil, bake 35-45 minutes, or until tender. Squash is done when a fork can easily pierce the flesh.
- In the meantime, add ground turkey to a skillet and cook over medium heat, breaking up with a fork. Cook turkey until it’s no longer pink, drain off any fat and add marinara, stir to combine. Remove from heat and cover.
- In a separate skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat, add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add spinach and sauté just until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and combine salt, pepper, cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, and egg white. Cover and set aside.
- Remove tender squash from the oven and allow to cool until it can be handled, drain water from the pan. Use a fork and scrape the inside of the squash to remove the spaghetti type strings. Transfer spaghetti strings to a large mixing bowl. Add the spinach and cheese mixture to the cooked spaghetti squash and stir to combine.
- Fill the squash boats with the spaghetti squash cheese mixture, and top with meat sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the meat sauce. Return boats to the roasting pan and bake 15-20 minutes until filling is hot, and cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut each half into 1/2 piece servings.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What are some other ways you like to stuff your spaghetti squash? Share your recipes in the comments section!