Lemongrass Shrimp on Toast is the perfect hors d’oeuvre or snack! These mini bites are packed with a variety nutritional benefits. Lemongrass is a great source of vitamins A and C, magnesium, and zinc. Add the shrimp and you’ve got a dish that tastes great and promotes weight loss! These tiny toasts are ready to be topped for a delicious treat.
Yields: 12 servings, 24 toasts | Serving Size: 2 toasts with toppings| Calories: 173 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 48 mg | Sodium: 215 mg | Carbohydrates: 5 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 8 macadamia nuts, chopped
- 3 medium shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 small dried red chilies, crushed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass bulb
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 thin slices of bread (your choice)—crusts removed, toasted and cut into 4 squares each
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche -see note*
- Cilantro leaves and red chilies for garnish
- In a mini processor, puree the nuts, shallots, garlic, chilies, lemongrass, ginger, lime juice and sugar. Transfer the paste to a bowl and stir in the coconut milk, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the shrimp and turn to coat with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the shrimp and season with salt. Cook over moderately high heat until the shrimp are golden and just cooked through, 3 minutes. Spread each toast with crème fraîche (or substitute) and top with a shrimp. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
- * Note- you can use a low-fat version of crème fraîche, Full-fat coconut cream or A blend of vegan cream cheese with a small amount of soy milk, or another sort of vegan milk, and lemon juice will also make a crème fraîche substitute that is similar in taste to the original.
You might also like:
And, of course, be sure to like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources. You’ll be utilizing those fresh veggies and fruits in a variety of recipes in no time!