Mac & cheese the healthy way!
Mac & Cheese is kid-friendly and provides a generous amount of protein and fiber. Unfortunately, store-bought macaroni and cheese boxes are filled with preservatives and a far cry from a healthy meal. Homemade mac is better if you use whole ingredients, but many recipes are still packed with calories and saturated fat. Our cleaned-up version has the same great creamy taste you love in macaroni and cheese, but it is much healthier and lower cal than most recipes.
We use a few healthy ingredient swaps to build a better mac and cheese. The sun-dried tomatoes and yogurt pack a hefty boost to the immune system and makes this a superfoods recipe. Sundried tomatoes with mac and cheese give this dish a bit of sophistication. Kids will still love it, but the recipe is grown up enough you can serve it at adult-only meals or create a family friendly meal people of all ages will love.
Macaroni and cheese is great as an entree or side dish. You can toss in some grilled shrimp or chicken for a heartier or dish, or serve mac & cheese beside your favorite entree. This cheesy pasta dish pairs well with fish, so consider serving it as a side to our Simply Sautéed Lemon Tilapia. It also works well with some of our healthier sides. you can whip up a batch of our Sweet Potato Chips and create a kid-approved vegetarian meal.
Mac & Cheese with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat macaroni shells dried
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 3 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 egg large, slightly whipped
- 1 egg white slightly whipped
- 10 sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, diced
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt fat-free, plain
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup almonds minced with skin for garnish - optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni to al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, be careful not to overcook. Return to cooking pot, cover while preparing sauce.
- Prepare cheese sauce by adding cheddar and milk to a saucepan, cook on low until cheese is melted and creamy.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together mustard, egg, diced sun-dried tomatoes, yogurt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. While shells are still hot, pour mixture over and stir.
- Next, pour warm, melted cheese and milk mixture over shells and stir to combine. Add Mac & Cheese to a casserole dish. If desired, sprinkle shells with a little additional shredded cheddar cheese. Top with minced almonds. Bake 20-25 minutes or until Mac & Cheese is slightly brown around the edges, cheese is melted and almonds are golden.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.