Mac & Cheese is kid-friendly and provides a generous amount of protein and fiber. Unfortunately, store-bought macaroni and cheese boxes are filled with preservatives and a far cry from a healthy meal. Homemade mac is better if you use whole ingredients, but many recipes are still packed with calories and saturated fat. Our cleaned-up version has the same great creamy taste you love in macaroni and cheese, but it is much healthier and lower cal than most recipes.
We use a few healthy ingredient swaps to build a better mac and cheese. The sun-dried tomatoes and yogurt pack a hefty boost to the immune system and makes this a superfoods recipe. Sundried tomatoes with mac and cheese give this dish a bit of sophistication. Kids will still love it, but the recipe is grown up enough you can serve it at adult-only meals or create a family friendly meal people of all ages will love.
Macaroni and cheese is great as an entree or side dish. You can toss in some grilled shrimp or chicken for a heartier or dish, or serve mac & cheese beside your favorite entree. This cheesy pasta dish pairs well with fish, so consider serving it as a side to our Simply Sautéed Lemon Tilapia. It also works well with some of our healthier sides. you can whip up a batch of our Sweet Potato Chips and create a kid-approved vegetarian meal.
Yields: 6 | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 474 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 46 mg | Sodium: 363 mg | Carbohydrates: 74 g | Dietary fiber: 9 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 26 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 15 |
- 2 1/2 cups dried whole wheat macaroni shells
- 12 ounces block cheddar cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, slightly whipped
- 1 egg white, slightly whipped
- 10 sun-dried tomato slices packed in olive oil, diced
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, fat free, plain
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup minced almonds (with skin) for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni to al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, be careful not to overcook. Return to cooking pot, cover while preparing sauce.
- Prepare cheese sauce by adding cheddar and milk to a saucepan, cook on low until cheese is melted and creamy.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together mustard, egg, diced sun-dried tomatoes, yogurt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. While shells are still hot, pour mixture over and stir.
- Next, pour warm, melted cheese and milk mixture over shells and stir to combine. Add Mac & Cheese to a casserole dish. If desired, sprinkle shells with a little additional shredded cheddar cheese. Top with minced almonds. Bake 20-25 minutes or until Mac & Cheese is slightly brown around the edges, cheese is melted and almonds are golden.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.