This healthy sandwich is good for lunch or dinner!
Eat this Fajita Sandwich and you’ll not only get plenty of protein, but add to that a wealth of niacin, phosphorus, zinc, selenium and vitamins B6 and B12.
Mushroom and Steak Fajita Sandwiches
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion sliced into strips
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 pound beef sirloin tip steak cut into thin strips; grass-fed beef recommended
- 4 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets cut in half
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt fat free plain or fat free sour cream - optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, on medium-low heat, sauté mushrooms in 1 tablespoon olive oil, about 6 minutes. Add onions, garlic and bell peppers and continue sautéing until onions and peppers are tender, about 4 minutes. Add in sirloin strips, and cook on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes or until no longer pink. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and oregano. Stir well, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes. Drain mixture.
- Cut pita bread in half, brush remaining oil on all sides, place on a cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes, just long enough to warm. Stuff pita pockets with meat mixture, romaine lettuce and top with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Mushroom and Steak Fajita Sandwiches recipe is featured in our new cookbook, Skinny Ms. Superfoods. You can check it out here!