Eat this Fajita Sandwich and you’ll not only get plenty of protein, but add to that a wealth of niacin, phosphorus, zinc, selenium and vitamins B6 and B12.
Yields: 4 | Serving size: ½ pita pocket with ¼ meat filling | Calories: 424 | Total Fat: 23 gm | Saturated Fats: 8 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 90 mg | Sodium: 507 mg | Carbohydrates: 24 gm | Dietary Fiber: 4 gm | Sugars: 4 gm | Protein: 30 gm | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11 |
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced in to strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 pound beef sirloin tip steak, cut into thin strips (grass-fed beef recommended)
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets cut in half
- 4 leaves of Romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, fat free, plain (optional fat free sour cream)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, on medium-low heat, sauté mushrooms in 1 tablespoon olive oil, about 6 minutes. Add onions, garlic and bell peppers and continue sautéing until onions and peppers are tender, about 4 minutes minutes. Add in sirloin strips, and cook on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes or until no longer pink. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and oregano. Stir well, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes. Drain mixture.
- Cut pita bread in half, brush remaining oil on all sides, place on a cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes, just long enough to warm. Stuff pita pockets with meat mixture, romaine lettuce and top with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.
Mushroom and Steak Fajita Sandwiches recipe is featured in our new cookbook, SkinnyMs. Superfoods. You can check it out here!