We’ve all had orange chicken before, whether it was from an Asian restaurant or the frozen food aisle. Our One-Pot Orange Chicken beats them all in flavor and nutrition. Rather than loading it up with extra sugar to get the yummy orange glaze, we use palm sugar or honey plus the natural sugar from orange juice for a natural taste impossible to resist.
You can’t beat using only one pan for dinner. Next time the craving for greasy takeout has you in its grasp, don’t resort to frozen pre-made meals. Grab your skillet and make some nutritious One-Pot Orange Chicken!
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 209 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 342mg | Carbohydrates: 7g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 27g | SmartPoints: 4
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons lite soy sauce, divided (optional, coconut aminos, Tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-inch fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 red onion, cut into strips
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together half of the soy sauce, half of the vinegar, orange peel, orange juice, and coconut sugar. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add oil to a skillet and heat to medium-low. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds, just until garlic is golden and fragrant, but not burnt. Add the marinated chicken with any juices in the bowl and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper strips, onions, remaining soy sauce and vinegar, and stir. Cook for about 10 minutes until peppers have softened and chicken is cooked through.
- Spoon chicken over or alongside brown rice or quinoa.
We love hearing from our readers! Let us know what other takeout recipes you’d like to see on our site. Leave a comment in the section below.