This rich and creamy pasta dish can't be beat!
Italian food is great, but do you ever get tired of making the same pasta dishes over and over again? Spice up your next Italian dinner with this new and improved Alfredo pasta dish. Add meaty flavor to your favorite Alfredo classic with savory turkey sausage. The best part about this dish is how easy it is to whip up, but the post-cooking clean up is just as easy.
All you need is one pot and whole lot of flavors to get this meal cooking and ready to serve. Once you cook the turkey sausage, toss in onions and garlic to marinate. Then, begin to cook the pasta and the sauce all in the same dish. As the pasta cooks in the milk and the broth, it calls for some cheese to begin making your very own Alfredo sauce. The liquid simmers and begins to thicken around the pasta. Isn’t your mouth watering just thinking about it? This is a “no regrets” type of dish, incorporating only organic, wholesome ingredients.
One Pot Turkey Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground Italian turkey sausage
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced small
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 16 ounces roasted red peppers jar, drained and pureed
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne pasta
- 3 cups spinach fresh
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese park-skim, low-fat
- 1/2 cup parmesan low-fat, shredded
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, roughly chopped
- In a large soup pot or high-walled pan, heat the olive oil on medium. Cook the turkey sausage until no pink remains. Add the garlic and onions and continue to cook until onions begin to soften.
- Drain off any excess liquid and stir in milk, chicken broth, pureed roasted red pepper, and pasta. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 12 minutes. If the liquid has all been absorbed, add additional milk and chicken broth as needed.
- Stir in spinach, 1 cup at a time. Follow with ricotta and parmesan cheese. Continue to stir until spinach is wilted and cheeses are melted.
- Remove from heat and spoon into servings bowls. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms